Update 2015-09-05: Added a example font and Adobe Photoshop template.
Currently I am working on the deluxe version of the data logger. This version has a LCD screen and capacitive buttons to control the software. The Adafruit library for the display is quite large and almost uses the whole RAM, because it is a pixel oriented library. My own implementation is a text only library using 8×8 pixel characters. This simplify everything and reduces the RAM costs.
To convert the bitmap font into bytes, I wrote a small application for OS X (minimum version 10.10). It accepts a PNG image with the characters in it and converts it into bytes with the correct bits set.
First you select the mode on the left side of the application window. In this example the mode is set to “8×8 Fixed Top-Down”. Select the output format in the bottom left corner of the window.
Now drag your font file onto the area on the right side. If the dragged file is accepted, the window turns blue.
I planed to create a game as a gift and use the really great Meggy Jr RGB platform for it. See the picture above, it’s a great game machine powered by the ATmega328P (buy it here). You can use the Arduino IDE to program it.
After assembling the device, I played a little bit around with the provided library — but was a bit disappointed by the library. This is a game device after all, but the library lack in my opinion some important things a game library need.
So I wrote a new library from scratch, using the provided schema and documentation (you can see the printed out schema in the background of the picture). Sometimes its better to start from scratch and learn from the mistakes of other libraries.
Today I release the first version of the library at GitHub here: https://github.com/LuckyResistor/LRMeggyJr. It has a proper API documentation and a few examples. I release this early, but hope to improve the documentation and add examples while I develop the actual game.